When the glorious sun is shining often the last thing on your mind is exercise and a healthy diet. Enjoying the warm weather with BBQ’s and drinks in the sunshine can make it difficult to stick to a healthy diet.
Here are 5 simple tips to keep you healthy over summer:
1. It may seem obvious, but drinking plenty of water each day is one way to maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep hydrated. There are many reasons why water benefits us so much. Firstly, water is a much healthier alternative to high calorie drinks such as squash and fizzy pop. Water is also a great appetite suppressant, sometimes when we feel hungry; we’re actually just thirsty so always have a glass of water before heading for a snack. Water is the best drink if you feel dehydrated and nothing can hydrate you better than H2O.
2. Snacking is one of the easiest ways to put on weight. The odd bag of crisps here and there is fine, but eating excessive amounts of fatty products can have many negative effects and not just weight gain. Fruit is the perfect snacking food, full of nutrients. Fruit salads and frozen fruit are a great tasty summer time snack which is really good for you. Many of us barely scrape two of our 5-a-day never mind the full 5. So set yourself the 5-a-day challenge, and have fun tasting a range of different and exotic fruits!
3. Exercising daily improves mental and physical well-being. It can reduce the risk of illness, including heart disease and diabetes. Research has proven that exercise can boost self-esteem, mood, energy and sleep quality. Exercising can be as full on as you choose and can be anything from a ten minute walk to an hour’s gym session.
4. Switch to electronic cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and are a healthier alternative to tobacco cigarettes. E-cigarettes vapourise an e-liquid inside the device which can then be inhaled. E-liquid is available in a variety of nicotine strengths and flavours. Intellicig make one of the purest and cleanest e-liquids called ECOpure.
5. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and skipping it could make you lose out on vital energy that you need throughout the day. When you skip breakfast, you’ll find yourself feeling tired and moody, a healthy breakfast will set you up for the day, slowly releasing energy and cutting down on the temptation to snack because you will feel fuller.
Try these 5 healthy tips for a healthier summer and see how they work for you.
Whats your top tip for a healthier summer?